My thoughts on... How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran


⭐ (5/5)

Set on early 1990s, a teen girl from a small working class town in England struggles to find who she really is while trying to save her family from poverty. 

I did not hate it but it is not my favourite book ever. Probably because the time and the space in which this book is set did not help me to understand all the cultural references that Johanna repeats again and again. Maybe this is the reason why I do not see this book as 'Lought-out-loud funny'. I do not see it as a comedy, I see it more as a real life drama. Again, because of my life and background it was difficult for me tu feel identified with the main character but I can see that this is a real life story, not based on a real person but on thousands of girls that have found themselves in situations like that. I feel this book is a lot more than just humoristic, it is the life of a social class generation that actually went through all Johanna goes through.

Comentaris

Publica un comentari a l'entrada