My thoughts on... Skulduggery Pleasant #1 by Derek Landy


⭐⭐⭐(3/5)

This is the first book of the Skulduggery Pleasant series where we get to know all the main characters and a whole magical world with its rules and its history. This magical world coexists with our society and it is hidden in subterranean tunnels and bewitched old houses and old shops. And of course there is a villain with his own army who will try to rule the world.

I read it for the first time seven years ago aproximately and I remember I liked it a lot. This is mainly why I decided to read it again, I remembered it was a light book, fast to read and fun. But this time it was not like that at all. I guess I was expecting too much from it and it disappointed me. The main reason is because everything was happening so fast. We were jumping from one scene to another and in all of them our main characters were being attacked and had to fight against villains. All. The. Time. There was too much action and not enough space for explanation or characters talking or just something that was not rushing on a car, being chased, being hit, punching and running away from villains and jumping off from windows. 

I really wanted to like this book and start a new saga, this year Landy released the 13th book "Skulduggery Pleasant, Seasons of War". But I don't think I am gonna be reaching for the second book... Maybe if I find it in the library I will give it a try. 

What do you think about action books? I don't even like action movies let alone action books! 

🟄🟄🟄🟄🟄🟄🟄🟄

💭If you have already read this book tell me your opinion: 

Don't you think it feels like the author took many ideas from Harry Potter⚡? The main villain is called Mevolent and the name makes me think of Voldemort. His helper is called Serpine... any similarity with Snape? 

And the Irish Sanctuary remind me to the Volturi from Twilight🧛... Three super old wizards that are kind of the rulers and are called Eachan Meritorious, Morwenna Crow and Sagacious Tome and the ones it Twilight were called Aro, Caius and Marcus.

Comentaris

  1. ¡Hola! Me encantó el concepto de tu blog, jajaja, me va a servir un montón para seguir reforzando mi lectura en inglés. Este libro no lo conocía, pero tampoco se me antoja mucho, porque me pierdo un poco en las escenas de acción 😬 y para mí es muy importante el desarrollo de los personajes. Pero muchas gracias por la reseña, ¡Un beso! 💛

    ResponElimina
  2. Creo que es lo peor cuando vas con expectativas altas y te truenan como globo pinchado, ya vendrán lecturas mejores.

    ResponElimina
  3. No lo he leido, pero tal vez me anime, aunque no es mi genero. Te mando un beso

    ResponElimina
  4. Hello!
    I know you speak spanish, but I’m going to write you in english to practice.
    The book had an interesting premise, but after your comments I don’t think I’ll read it. Those coincidences with HP seem a little weird to me...
    Kisses☕💗

    ResponElimina
  5. It's a favorite series at the library. I see all ages wanting to read this series. Awesome solid review!

    ResponElimina
  6. Ja passa, ja, que tens unes favorables expectatives abans de llegir un llibre i després cau estrepitosament com un castell de cartes. Al próxim que hagi més sort!
    Besets.

    ResponElimina
  7. Pues me ha parecido muy interesante, qué pena que luego se desinfle.
    Un abrazo.

    ResponElimina
  8. It sounds the book is interesting. Thanks for information. I'll wait for translation into Russian.
    Happy Monday!

    ResponElimina
  9. ¡Hola! No conocía el libro, pero dices que hay demasiada acción que parece hostigar jaja
    No me animó a leerlo por ahora. Gracias por la reseña.
    Besos.

    ResponElimina
  10. ¡Hola! Te entiendo, a mi también me ha pasado que he vuelto a leer libros que recuerdo haber disfrutado antes, pero que en la relectura no me hicieron sentir la misma emoción. Personalmente, no creo que ese libro sea mi género, pero gracias por la recomendación. ¡Besos!

    ResponElimina
  11. Un blog muy interesante!
    A mi tampoco me van mucho los libros de acción...

    ResponElimina
  12. Hola, muchas gracias por pasarte por mi blog. :-) Por cierto, me encanta leer, pero no conocía este libro.

    Besos

    ResponElimina
  13. I loved the review. I didn't know that book and I was curious to read it.
    I don't really like books that the authors write parts too fast, you can't enjoy reading.
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ResponElimina
  14. Hola, no conocía este libro. Me gusta la acción pero con fundamentos, es decir, creo que también me desesperaría si todo el tiempo fuera así. Je, je, je sí, los nombres suenan parecidos a los de Harry Potter y Crepúsculo, se nota la influencia.

    Saludos

    ResponElimina
  15. Hola.

    Vaig a llegir un llibre que té un personatge semblant a Harry Potter. , sembla una història apassionant.

    Gràcies per la vostra recomanació.
    Salutacions des d'Indonèsia.

    ResponElimina
  16. Hola, es muy feo que tus expectativas caigan, y no termines disfrutando de un buen libro, ojala eso cambie. Que tengas buen dia

    ResponElimina
  17. Siempre me ha llamado mucho la atención, me encantaría leerlo
    Un beso!

    ResponElimina
  18. Yo la verdad es que no soy mucho de novela de acción, ninguna ha acabado enganchándome.

    ResponElimina
  19. awesome review..... I'll find the series.
    Thank you for sharing

    ResponElimina
  20. ¡Holaaaa!

    Ayyy leí este libro hace muuuchos años pero recuerdo que de pequeña me encantaban, la magia, el misterio y ese tono oscuro que tienen... son geniales ^^

    ¡muchos besos!

    ResponElimina
  21. Holaa!! leí este libro hace tiempo y recuerdo que me gustó, aunque tienes razón, pasan muchas cosas y no hay descanso jaja, aún no estoy segura de si continuaré con la saga o no, tengo varias pendientes ya y quiero terminarlas antes de empezar otras. Muy buena reseña.

    Blessings!!

    ResponElimina
  22. Hola, de momento no es un libro que me llame la atención, gracias por compartir tu opinión, saludos desde kiwybooks!

    ResponElimina
  23. ¡Hola!
    Una serie con demasiados libros... no tengo paciencia para leer historias tan largas :)
    Gracias por la recomendación y la reseña ;)
    Un abrazo y feliz fin de semana

    ResponElimina
  24. Hello!
    I am also Spanish girl (from Barcelona) although I live in France since 12 years ago. I'm sure you're wondering... then why is she writting to me in English? Simply because you said that you prefer to practise English. I'd have liked to leave you this message on Let's be followers (I hope you don't mind) but the badget doesn't work. Yeah, I also take part in this iniciative. So I give you my two blogs's links, in case you want to visit them. In addition, we could also follow and comment on each other. Greetings from France.
    http://mariainwonderlandbook.blogspot.com/
    http://mariainmagazine.blogspot.com/

    ResponElimina
  25. Hola!! Me alegro de que te haya gustado tanto y gracias por el descubrimiento, creo que podría estar bien. ¡Gran reseña! Besos!!

    ResponElimina

Publica un comentari a l'entrada